- 1 Background
- 2 Readings/References
- 3 Research
- 4 Bio-Sensors
- 4.1 Heart Rate and Pulse
- 4.2 Muscle
- 4.3 Blood Pressure
- 4.4 Temperature
- 4.5 Blood Glucose
- 4.6 Alcohol
- 4.7 Gyrometer, Accelerometer, Magnetometer
- 4.8 Tilt sensor
- 4.9 Carbon monoxide
- 4.10 Respiratory Rate/quantity
- 4.11 Body Composition
- 4.12 Motion Control
- 4.13 Electrodermal Activity Sensor
- 4.14 Bitalino Biomedical dev kit
- 4.15 Liquid Level Sensor
- 4.16 Infra red imaging
- 4.17 Mindwave
- 4.18 EEG
- 4.19 Fertility and Menstruation
- 4.20 Pregnancy
- 4.21 Environmental sensors
- 5 Internet of Things (IoT) Devices
- 6 Lab Essentials
- 7 Experiments
In India, given shortage of trained staff, providing access to healthcare in remote areas and also care shifting from traditional settings like hospital to home, managing patients under treatment and patients recovering say from surgery has gained importance. We are looking at creating probes, through a hands-on design & technology & design thinking driven exploration leading to new usages and design strategy.
6. Nicholas Negroponte: A 30-year history of the future
1. GlowCap What- Sends reminders for needed medication. The cap senses the quantity of meds and sends alerts to pharmacy. Blutooth and AT&T cellular based. Once activated, the plugin reminder light and cap connect to the AT&T Mobile Broadband Network, giving you both light and sound indicators for scheduled medications, vitamins and supplements.
2. ZephyrLIFE What- ZephyrLIFE™ RPM offers remote capabilities that enhance the level of medical support a patient receives while enabling them to be monitored in the comfort of their home. The BioModule™ device communicates wirelessly, via Android™*-based devices, to provide monitoring from any location where a phone network or data plan connection is available. It provides rapid updates with physiologic alerts based on Clinical-assigned thresholds and integrates with qualified third-party devices to provide measurements for weight, blood pressure, Sp02, blood glucose, and tympanic temperature.
The BioModule™ sensor is wireless and rechargeable and, when combined with the BioModule™ holder and snap ECG electrodes, becomes the BioPatch™ wireless device wireless. At home, it continuously collects a patient’s physiologic data and transmits the data every 60 seconds for the first 15 minutes, thereafter in 15 minute intervals. The BioModule™ device provides a 30-second, single-lead ECG that records either automatically or on demand when a patient’s heart or respiration rate crosses clinician-assigned thresholds.
BioPatch™ Device Features: Heart Rate 30–240 beats per minute (± 1 bpm) Sedentary Respiratory Rate 5 -50 breaths per minute (± 1 bpm) Position ± 180° (Laying, right, left, supine and prone) Activity Minutes EC38 Type 3 ECG
3. Philips Go Safe What- Medical alert system with a fall detector.
Student project by Vidhi Goel (ex-Srishti) and Eliz Ayadin at School of Visual Arts, NY. BUD acts as a support system for pregnant women.
Looks really cool! App for history and visualisation support for blood pressure.
A credit card sized device which slips into the iPhone case for measuring ECG, Heart Rate, Respiration Rate, Skin temperature and blood oxygen
Monitors autonomic nervous system.
1. Your body is the dataset by Budi Parkosa
Pulse Sensor using Piezo and CocoMake7
3. Automated Medicine Dispensing
Heart Rate and Pulse
Heart rate is the speed of the heartbeat measured by the number of contractions of the heart per minute (bpm). The heart rate can vary according to the body's physical needs, including the need to absorb oxygen and excrete carbon dioxide. It is usually equal or close to the pulse measured at any peripheral point. Activities that can provoke change include physical exercise, sleep, anxiety, stress, illness, and ingestion of drugs.
A pulse represents the tactile arterial palpation of the heartbeat by fingertips. The pulse may be palpated in any place that allows an artery to be compressed against a bone, such as at the neck (carotid artery), on the inside of the elbow (brachial artery), at the wrist (radial artery), at the groin (femoral artery), behind the knee (popliteal artery), near the ankle joint (posterior tibial artery), and on foot (dorsalis pedis artery). Pulse (or the count of arterial pulse per minute) is equivalent to measuring the heart rate.
We get this for much cheaper at Om Electronics, SP road (used in [http://artscienceblr.org/index.php/songs-of-the-swamp/ Songs of the Swamp with Tasneem) https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12650 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12970 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11574
Muscle sensor or Electromyography. Electromyography (EMG) is a diagnostic procedure to assess the health of muscles and the nerve cells that control them (motor neurons). Motor neurons transmit electrical signals that cause muscles to contract. An EMG translates these signals into graphs, sounds or numerical values that a specialist interprets.
Myoware Sensor (made by advancer guys, improvement over their DIY sensor) https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13723
It is the pressure of the blood in the circulatory system Need to hack one of these http://www.amazon.in/Blood-Pressure-Monitors/b?ie=UTF8&node=3150031031
Lot's of modules available. Local ones as well on SP road
infrared temp - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9570
The blood glucose level is the amount of glucose in the blood. Glucose is a sugar that comes from the foods we eat, and it's also formed and stored inside the body. It's the main source of energy for the cells of our body, and it's carried to each cell through the bloodstream.
Lots of commercially available home testing kits. Need to hack them.
The concentration of alcohol in one's bloodstream, expressed as a percentage. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8880
Gyrometer, Accelerometer, Magnetometer
Body weight, metabolic rate, fat content, water content, bone density device on amazon
Can be made super cheap with LDRs and Processing https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13285
Electrodermal Activity Sensor
maybe break a fit bit http://affect.media.mit.edu/projectpages/iCalm/E3specs.png http://affect.media.mit.edu/projectpages/iCalm/iCalm-2-Q%20copy- Before-Embrace.html
Next level fit bit - http://www.rithmio.com/
Bitalino Biomedical dev kit
Liquid Level Sensor
Infra red imaging
Fertility and Menstruation
5. pH, salinity, dissolved oxygen, turbidity of water
Internet of Things (IoT) Devices
http://www.blynk.cc/ Blynk board??
W5100, Basically arduino UNO with inbuilt WiFi Rs 500/-
Arduino Gemma (Attiny 85)
Arduino Due - Clone Rs1,100/-
Bluetooth low energy modules
Raspberry pi 3
Analog to Digital convertors
Particle photon board
Hackteria Resource on building a Biolab Can modify for a bio-sensors lab!
I Sing The Body Electric
Op-Amps for GSR, EKG, Pulse
We have used op amps to amplify body signals. By using suitable filters, it is possible to measure ECG, Pluse and Galvanic skin response. Detailed project on hackteria wiki